The Recovery Act Specifies the Following Three Components of Meaningful Use:
- Use of certified EHR in a meaningful manner (e.g. E-Prescribing)
- Use of certified EHR technology for electronic exchange of health information to improve quality of health care
- Use of certified EHR technology to submit clinical quality measures(CQM) and other such measures selected by the Secretary
Meaningful Use: Basic Overview of Final Rule
- Stage 1 (2011 & 2012)
- To meet certain objectives/measures, 80% of patients must have records in the certified Electronic Health Records technology.
- EPs have to report on 20 of 25 MU objectives.
- Reporting Period 90 days for first year; one year subsequently.
- Stage 2 Meaningful Use has a proposed delay of one year for eligible providers that started demonstrating meaningful use in 2011 and 2012, they will be given extra time till 2014 to meet Stage 2.
Important Dates to Remember
- April 2011~Attestation for the Medicare EHR Incentive Program begins.
- May 2011~EHR Incentive Payments expected to begin.
- July 1, 2011 ~ E-Prescribe deadline for Medicare, providers must have sent at least 10 escripts by July 1 or Medicare will penalize 1% of Medicare charges in 2012.
- September 30, 2011~Last day of the federal fiscal year. Reporting year ends for eligible hospitals and CAHs.
- October 1, 2011~Last day for eligible professionals to begin their 90-day reporting period for calendar year 2011 for the Medicare EHR Incentive Program.
- November 1st, 2011~Last day to file a hardship exemption for the Medicare eRx at the CMS Communication Support Page.
- December 31, 2011~Reporting year ends for eligible professionals.
- February 29, 2012~Last day for eligible professionals to register and attest to receive an Incentive Payment for calendar year 2011.
Provided by CMS.
What's Your Eligibility